Saturday, April 25, 2009

But before that, there were dinosaurs. But they were a bit crap so f-ck 'em!

In response to JT's Texas State Stuff Blog.

I am a huge advocate of evolution. Honestly, I really don't understand why it is still considered a theory. When you have fossilized evidence of a fish with legs, doesn't that garner enough proof that organisms will evolve to survive in a changing world?

When it comes down to teaching evolution in school, I am all for it. It's science, plain and simple. The teachers don't have to state whether or not they believe in it, but it's unfair to treat it like the red-headed stepchild simply because it's still technically a theory and goes against the Bible's proclamation that all humans were created in the image we currently have today.

I suppose my response to JT's blog isn't exactly concerning evolution (I agree that this should be taught), but more about religion being a factor. I am not an advocate of organized religion (the reasons of which I won't subject anyone to listen to). However, it is a subject that has been a major stepping stone in the human existence. If nothing else, it makes for a good lecture as to why people tend to be small-minded against evolution. I think that giving students a broader perspective on the many schools of thought when it comes to the existence of humans allows them to really wrap their minds around what is logical and what is merely faith-based.

1 comment:

  1. Adrienne,

       I agree with you about teaching evolution in school. But when people use the term "theory," I believe they are using the scientific meaning of the word. Meaning that they are not theorizing the existence of evolution, but creating a theory to explain how it works. As in the Theory of Gravity, a phenomenon that even the most faithful religious person can no longer attribute to God.

    ReplyDelete